She yelps, “The best thing about Houston is tacos. And, more specifically tacos from Tacos Tierra Caliente.”Thrillist recommends “you drench [the breakfast tacos] in both the red AND the green salsa.” LAREDO TAQUERIA The line moves fast at Laredo Taqueria. So do the breakfast tacos. Thrillist throws in its two cents: “get spicy potatoes, chorizo & eggs, chicharrones, and refried beans.” They sing corridos about the handmade corn tortillas there. Houstonia Magazine chimes in: “Even the most basic potato-and-egg taco tastes amazing thanks to Laredo’s homemade tortillas and zesty, fiery salsas.” TACOS A GO-GO “Inhale tacos. Exhale emotions.” Tacos A Go-Go gets it right. Like a flaming El Camino out of the Texas sunset, Tacos A Go-Go, well, goes at Houston’s taqueria scene with its rockabilly vibe, old-school Mexican kitsch and simple, no-nonsense food made from scratch every day. They serve breakfast until late into the night, so go-go anytime. Sonal M., of Houston, TX, likes the food and the value of Tacos A Go-Go. She yelps, “Four huge breakfast tacos for 10 bucks! Can’t beat that! Each one comes with perfectly cooked eggs and two toppings on either a flour or corn tortilla.” Delicious and affordable. “What the bagel is to NYC, the breakfast taco is to Houston,” Houstonia Magazine asserts. So you’d better get it right! Do yourself a favor and try the best breakfast tacos in Houston.
Yelper Morgan R. is impressed by the creative variety of ice cream “ Cloud 10 is a unique ice cream parlor with many unique, changing flavors.”CAFEZA Cafeza is not only the cutest little Latin American cafe this side of the Rio Grande, they host live music several nights a week. The cafe draws its inspiration from the cafés of Barcelona and Buenos Aires, as well as the neighborhood cervecerias and refresquerias around downtown Houston.
Yelper Yvette H. agrees that the romantic vibe of Cafeza is intoxicating: “I recently attended one of the jazz nights at Cafeza and it was truly magical! Fun lights, cool drinks and still serving churros past 9 pm!”GEORGE OBSERVATORY An outing beneath the stars is classic romance. And, with our well-known connection to the aerospace industry, Houston is about as close as you can get to the heavens here on Earth. The George Observatory’s “Starry Night: A VIP Experience” is hosted by the Director of Astronomy. View the sky through their 36″ Gueymard Research telescope. And who knows? Maybe somewhere out there on the other end of the telescope, on some other world, there’s a pair of lovers staring back at you. It’s cuffing season, H-Town! Winter will be back before you know it. Live in the moment this spring with the best date ideas around Houston. Viva sweet love!
- Day One: Buy some Texas-themed treats! We recommend visiting Pinto Ranch Houston or The Hat Store (yes, it’s called that) for some western gear to show your Texas pride and remind you of why you love the place you call home. After that, it’s time for BBQ, of course! The Brisket House is known for… well, we’ll let you guess. And Roegels Barbecue Co. was ranked in Texas Monthly’s top 50 places, but we’ll let you be the judge of that. Both are neighborhood staples, and you’ll end Day 1 of your long weekend remembering why you love it here in Houston!
- Day Two: Get out of the city! Ok, you’ve had your Texas-themed fun in the local neighborhood, but now it’s time to get out and explore. We recommend an outdoorsy day, first with a hike through the Sam Houston National Forest, and then with a watery trip to Trinity River. Both are just an easy few minutes from each other, and less than a two-hour drive from us here at Alta City West. Trust us, you’ll want a break from the city on a long weekend, and you’ll be glad you explored nature at these spots. Bring friends, and pack a picnic… and don’t forget to hydrate!
- Day Three: Relax, and wind down in style! Of course, when Alta City West is our home, how can we leave for long? For us, getting a workout in is a great way to let off some steam and release some tension… the post-workout feeling is one that can’t be recreated, and it makes us feel on top of the world. Then order takeout from Chuy’s or Nick’s Place (depending on what you’re in the mood for). Crack open a cold one, take in the view of the Houston skyline, and call your long weekend a success. What a way to rest up before another work week!
Today, HGO staff and Studio artists volunteered at the @houstonfoodbank. These volunteers, along with volunteers from other organizations, filled a record breaking 39 pallets with food boxes. That equates to 28,000 meals! We capped off our shift with performances from our Studio artists. #HoUStonStrong #HoustonRecovers #houstonarts #Volunteer #HGOStudio
atholic Charities is open today from 9 am to 1 pm for disaster relief services at 2900 Louisiana St. Small donations can be dropped off during this time as well. #HarveyRelief #Harvey #HoustonRecovers A post shared by Sara K. Gilmore (@ccharities_ght) on
Today a group of EDPR employees headed out to Buffalo Bayou to work with the Buffalo Bayou Partnership to help clean up silt and debris at the Houston Police Officer’s Memorial this morning! This is just one of the many ways EDPR has been giving back and helping Houston Recover. I am so grateful to work with an amazing group of people who are passionate about renewables and our community and that give back in many ways! #HoustonStrong #TexasStrong #HoustonRecovers #HouRecovers A post shared by Lauren Kiser (@laurenakiser) on
Just another reason why @atxmafia is AWESOME!!!❤️ For anyone that wants to purchase one of these shirts LET ME KNOW! I can order for you or you can order directly from them!! Message from #atxmafia 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼 A $20 TEE THAT GIVES BACK!!!! HOUSTON, we have your back!!! After seeing all the terrible flooding in Houston and ALL the surrounding cities we want to help!!! 100% of the net profits from your purchase of this tee of ours will be donated to HOUSTON RECOVERS. As soon as we wrap up this donation drive – we will post on Facebook, Instagram and on our website (atxmafia.com) how much was raised and donated to this organization on your behalf. For more information on “Houston Recovers,” please feel free to visit their website: www.houstonrecovers.org . We appreciate your generosity. TAG &/or SHARE with your family & friends! #atxmafia #familyfirst#Houston #helphouston #houstonrecovers #help #share #tag #givemore #feedshackandtack
Me and a couple of my Guys from #Chiraq and #HTown down here in #Houston trying to rebuild the city.. #HoustonRecovery #HoustonStrong #DatWork #DaOGs #GettingItIn #WeWorking #WeGotThis A post shared by Chief Archie Lee (@godlymadebullyz) on
Losing precious family memories is devastating. Alan, long time NECHAMA volunteer, sorts through years of family photos trying to save those not too damaged by the flood water. #nechama #volunteer #volunteerlove #houston #houstonstrong #texas #hurricaneharvey #houstonrecovery #disasterrelief #jewishresponsetodisaster #tikkunolam #repairingtheworldthroughactsofkindness 📷@mariana.micheli
Last race project of the year is complete! Hope everyone had a great #RunforRecovery in #Houston this morning! #addictionrecovery #houstonrecovery #runforrecovery2017 #racebranding #houstonraces #houston5k #houstonrunforrecovery #graphicdesign #runhou #houstonrunning #houstongraphicdesign A post shared by Kelly Phillips Design (@kellyphillipsdesign) on
Our help has no barriers…the two women holding the dogs are deaf and they were so sweet and appreciative of us reaching out to them. They actually lost their home and belongings when one of the levees was released. They are staying with friends in a house with 7 people and 3 dogs. We were able to provide them with hot meals for the entire home, water, toiletries, cleaning supplies, dog food, dog toys, etc. we also provided them with names of contractors and churches to help in the fixing of their homes. The smiles on their faces were priceless. We have adopted this family and will assist them throughout this difficult time. If you’re looking to donate please reach out or visit our page Cle2Hou Love to see other families stories! #cle2houlove #payitforward #grassrootsgaragewarriors #houstonrecovers
- Watch the H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade… in person! The largest Thanksgiving event in Houston takes place downtown, and the weather is slated to be perfect. So grab a few friends and family members, and be sure to arrive early to get a good spot. Bonus for sticking around to spot Santa!
- Host a “friends-giving” feast! Who doesn’t love a good potluck turkey dinner?! Assign a few of your loved ones to bring the stuffing, the pumpkin pie, and the cranberry sauce, and host your Thanksgiving dinner feast comfortably at home in Alta City West.
- Volunteer to feed others. Houston’s own Annual Thanksgiving Big Super Feast is one of the best events of the year to spread the joy and thankfulness to those who may not be feeling it this time of year. Tis the season to get involved with a charity.
- Dine out with friends… When all else fails, West Houston’s got plenty of restaurants around our neighborhood here that are featuring dinner deals. Never fear! If you’ve burned that turkey, you can still have the chance to stuff your face!
Tea party. 👌 A post shared by Sara K. Gilmore (@sarakgilmore) on
Crepee🍫🍌 #lonjasfelices #foodporn A post shared by Lonjasfelices (@lonjasfelices) on
But first, tea! #teaforme #afternoontea A post shared by Jeniifer Harrold (@jenniqueso) on
Good morning! 🌞☕ #minuticoffee #october #riseandshine #coffee #weekend #houstontx #foodie #foodporn #nomnom #cappuccino #latte #wakeup #trending A post shared by D A N I E L • F E R R É (@dferre.htx) on