- Day One: Buy some Texas-themed treats! We recommend visiting Pinto Ranch Houston or The Hat Store (yes, it’s called that) for some western gear to show your Texas pride and remind you of why you love the place you call home. After that, it’s time for BBQ, of course! The Brisket House is known for… well, we’ll let you guess. And Roegels Barbecue Co. was ranked in Texas Monthly’s top 50 places, but we’ll let you be the judge of that. Both are neighborhood staples, and you’ll end Day 1 of your long weekend remembering why you love it here in Houston!
- Day Two: Get out of the city! Ok, you’ve had your Texas-themed fun in the local neighborhood, but now it’s time to get out and explore. We recommend an outdoorsy day, first with a hike through the Sam Houston National Forest, and then with a watery trip to Trinity River. Both are just an easy few minutes from each other, and less than a two-hour drive from us here at Alta City West. Trust us, you’ll want a break from the city on a long weekend, and you’ll be glad you explored nature at these spots. Bring friends, and pack a picnic… and don’t forget to hydrate!
- Day Three: Relax, and wind down in style! Of course, when Alta City West is our home, how can we leave for long? For us, getting a workout in is a great way to let off some steam and release some tension… the post-workout feeling is one that can’t be recreated, and it makes us feel on top of the world. Then order takeout from Chuy’s or Nick’s Place (depending on what you’re in the mood for). Crack open a cold one, take in the view of the Houston skyline, and call your long weekend a success. What a way to rest up before another work week!
Today, HGO staff and Studio artists volunteered at the @houstonfoodbank. These volunteers, along with volunteers from other organizations, filled a record breaking 39 pallets with food boxes. That equates to 28,000 meals! We capped off our shift with performances from our Studio artists. #HoUStonStrong #HoustonRecovers #houstonarts #Volunteer #HGOStudio
atholic Charities is open today from 9 am to 1 pm for disaster relief services at 2900 Louisiana St. Small donations can be dropped off during this time as well. #HarveyRelief #Harvey #HoustonRecovers A post shared by Sara K. Gilmore (@ccharities_ght) on
Today a group of EDPR employees headed out to Buffalo Bayou to work with the Buffalo Bayou Partnership to help clean up silt and debris at the Houston Police Officer’s Memorial this morning! This is just one of the many ways EDPR has been giving back and helping Houston Recover. I am so grateful to work with an amazing group of people who are passionate about renewables and our community and that give back in many ways! #HoustonStrong #TexasStrong #HoustonRecovers #HouRecovers A post shared by Lauren Kiser (@laurenakiser) on
Just another reason why @atxmafia is AWESOME!!!❤️ For anyone that wants to purchase one of these shirts LET ME KNOW! I can order for you or you can order directly from them!! Message from #atxmafia 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼 A $20 TEE THAT GIVES BACK!!!! HOUSTON, we have your back!!! After seeing all the terrible flooding in Houston and ALL the surrounding cities we want to help!!! 100% of the net profits from your purchase of this tee of ours will be donated to HOUSTON RECOVERS. As soon as we wrap up this donation drive – we will post on Facebook, Instagram and on our website (atxmafia.com) how much was raised and donated to this organization on your behalf. For more information on “Houston Recovers,” please feel free to visit their website: www.houstonrecovers.org . We appreciate your generosity. TAG &/or SHARE with your family & friends! #atxmafia #familyfirst#Houston #helphouston #houstonrecovers #help #share #tag #givemore #feedshackandtack
Me and a couple of my Guys from #Chiraq and #HTown down here in #Houston trying to rebuild the city.. #HoustonRecovery #HoustonStrong #DatWork #DaOGs #GettingItIn #WeWorking #WeGotThis A post shared by Chief Archie Lee (@godlymadebullyz) on
Losing precious family memories is devastating. Alan, long time NECHAMA volunteer, sorts through years of family photos trying to save those not too damaged by the flood water. #nechama #volunteer #volunteerlove #houston #houstonstrong #texas #hurricaneharvey #houstonrecovery #disasterrelief #jewishresponsetodisaster #tikkunolam #repairingtheworldthroughactsofkindness 📷@mariana.micheli
Last race project of the year is complete! Hope everyone had a great #RunforRecovery in #Houston this morning! #addictionrecovery #houstonrecovery #runforrecovery2017 #racebranding #houstonraces #houston5k #houstonrunforrecovery #graphicdesign #runhou #houstonrunning #houstongraphicdesign A post shared by Kelly Phillips Design (@kellyphillipsdesign) on
Our help has no barriers…the two women holding the dogs are deaf and they were so sweet and appreciative of us reaching out to them. They actually lost their home and belongings when one of the levees was released. They are staying with friends in a house with 7 people and 3 dogs. We were able to provide them with hot meals for the entire home, water, toiletries, cleaning supplies, dog food, dog toys, etc. we also provided them with names of contractors and churches to help in the fixing of their homes. The smiles on their faces were priceless. We have adopted this family and will assist them throughout this difficult time. If you’re looking to donate please reach out or visit our page Cle2Hou Love to see other families stories! #cle2houlove #payitforward #grassrootsgaragewarriors #houstonrecovers
- Pumpkin Pie from Brixology Crafted Cocktails. Craving a festive taste of the holiday season? Then everyone’s favorite pie mixed into the yummiest cocktail will have you wanting seconds, thirds, and maybe even fourths!
- The Professional from 51Fifteen. Stoli Vodka and blue cheese olives? You had us at hello. Have it dry, strong, straight up, shaken, stirred… whatever you fancy! James Bond will be proud.
- Tiny Bubbles from Caracol Mexican Coastal Kitchen. This sparkling wine cocktail has ginger liqueur with guava and pomegranate. Your taste buds will be having the ultimate party, and you’ll be joining that party in no time with just a few refreshing sips.
- A Margarita from Vibe Sports Bar Lounge. A tried-and-true favorite, but the key here is to get it in bulk: $20 for a pitcher every Tuesday. Perfect to wash down those 50-cent hot wings!
- Arnold Palmer Texas Tea from Marquis II. A Texas classic, a Southern favorite, just like Grandma used to make… However you slice it (or pour it, as it were), this favorite is the perfect reminder you’re not on Long Island anymore. You’ve never had tea this hard, twisted, and delicious!
Tea party. 👌 A post shared by Sara K. Gilmore (@sarakgilmore) on
Crepee🍫🍌 #lonjasfelices #foodporn A post shared by Lonjasfelices (@lonjasfelices) on
But first, tea! #teaforme #afternoontea A post shared by Jeniifer Harrold (@jenniqueso) on
Good morning! 🌞☕ #minuticoffee #october #riseandshine #coffee #weekend #houstontx #foodie #foodporn #nomnom #cappuccino #latte #wakeup #trending A post shared by D A N I E L • F E R R É (@dferre.htx) on
Houston Texans Cookie Logo #customdecoratedcookies #decoratedcookies #customdecoratedcookies #houstontexanslogo #logocookies #icedcookies #texastheme #sanantoniocookies #houstontexans #houstontexansfan #fancookies A post shared by Cookie Art by Jill (@cookieartbyjill) onI’m bout that H, town coming coming down. Go Texans 🤘🏼 A post shared by Madison Brooke (@madisonbrookeb) onHumpday half kiss! A post shared by Talented Lily (@talented.lily) onHumpday half kiss! A post shared by Talented Lily (@talented.lily) on
Fall is in the air, pumpkin spice lattes are in hands everywhere, and the smell of apple cider and hot chocolate makes taste buds water (well, at least ours do)! This October, there’s so much to do around Houston to celebrate fall, so we didn’t want to let another week go by without highlighting some fun activities to do and ways to partake.
For this week’s blog, we’re giving you a few can’t-miss opportunities to show your fall pride. Let us know which of these are your favorite… or if we’ve missed any, of course!
- Enjoy the pumpkin patch at Blessington Farms, where you can pick your own pumpkins in true harvest style, and also enjoy the Farm Funland with friends and family. There’s nothing quite like a fall tradition like a corn maze, not to mention some delicious fall flavors that you can buy fresh and local. Dewberry Farm nearby also has some fantastic (and delicious) homegrown options.
- Hit the Haunted Trails for a spooky good time right here in Houston, where you can explore a haunted house, work your way through an eerie hayride, and explore the history and lore behind some of Houston’s spookiest secrets.
- Make some autumn decor, and take some fall pictures for a photo shoot. Whether you’re dressing your place up for the season, or you’re getting yourself decked out in costume for Halloween, fall is the perfect time for some new photos – get your groove on and spice it up in (fall) style.
- The Annual Fall Fest weekend takes place on October 22nd this year – don’t miss out on fun celebrations, attractions, and local favorites for all ages. It’s a Houston tradition, and one you won’t want to miss out on!
Whether this is your first time celebrating the harvest season in Texas, or you are used to autumn festivities year after year, you don’t want to miss out on the fun. Join in, and share with us how you’re celebrating the fall. We at Alta City West want to hear all about it… we may even feature you on our social media. Happy fall-ing!
Houston, we’re all in this together. Here at Alta City West, we’re partnering with all our friends, family, and community at Wood Residential Services (WRS) to create relief kits for Hurricane Harvey. While we’re thankful for our community banding together at this time of great need, our hearts continue to go out to our city and the neighborhoods all over so many miles that have been affected.
Obviously, many people have been displaced from their homes, and we view it as our duty to be able to come together and provide what we can to those in need. We’re putting together care packages here at WRS, and if you feel it in your heart to give, we’d love your contributions. These personal disaster relief kits will take all of our efforts, so please stop by the office to donate whatever you can from the following supplies and relief materials:
- Twin-sized air mattresses
- Pillows and pillowcases
- Blankets and sheet sets and extra bedding
- Bath towels and washcloths
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Brushes, combs, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and other basic toiletry needs
- Small blankets
- Food packets
- Treats and toys
- Food bowls
Labor Day weekend will quickly be upon us – and who doesn’t love a long weekend to relax and get away for a little while? Of course, by “getaway,” we mean a stay-cation right here in our wonderful city of Houston. After all, there’s plenty to do for the long weekend, and we at Alta City West are happy to share some of our favorite thoughts for the long weekend.
This week’s blog features just a few of our favorite upcoming things to celebrate at the end of this month. Take a look at the list, and see if we missed any.
- A dinner cruise. If you’re staying local, there are a few different local parties taking place on the coast that are perfect for two (or more). Take a date, bring a few friends, or get the family together. A day out on the water is perfect relaxation for a long weekend!
- Attend a party. Have you checked Eventbrite’s website? There are lots of events that will be happening around the Houston area that will guarantee a Labor Day weekend spent in style. Just be sure to plan ahead for a designated driver or the Lyft/Uber apps!
- Houston Restaurant Weeks is going on around the city. This is the perfect time to eat at that restaurant you’ve been dying to try, and you’ll be able to do so at a fraction of the price. Just be sure to make a reservation, since it may get crowded.
- A concert, a baseball game, a community event? There are lots going on, at Minute Maid Park, Houston Symphony, Discovery Green, and beyond. Check the website calendars for your favorite venue, and be sure to get tickets in advance.
- BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival is happening over Labor Day weekend. If you haven’t been to Moody Gardens, now’s the perfect time to head over and enjoy your favorite local craft brew or two. Bottoms up!
- Traders Village is hosting a Rock & Pop Tribute Festival over the long weekend… it’s the perfect time to enjoy some classic tunes from your favorite cover band (and enjoy some delicious food and drinks while you’re at it).
Did we miss an event or idea for the long weekend? Perhaps you’re leaving the city for a little getaway? Whatever you’re doing for Labor Day, enjoy the days off, plan to relax, have an adventure, and have fun with people you love. Share your Labor Day plans with us, and we may feature them on our social media pages, too – cheers!
- Leave early to beat traffic. Heading into downtown isn’t too bad, but if it’s the wrong time of day, you’ll be in a jam much longer than you’d like.
- Carpool or Uber to save on parking. We all know that prices get hiked around the stadium when a game or event is going on. Avoid the Minute Maid Park fees by thinking economically. Plus, if you’ve got a designated driver, that means at least an extra beer or two on the menu!
- Explore the surrounding area. Heading into downtown Houston early? We are big fans of Jackson Street Barbecue (right across the street from the stadium) for dinner. Nothing like Texas BBQ!
- Go on a Houston Astros fan appreciation night! What better way to celebrate our team, not to mention show your team spirit, than getting a free pennant or hat or bobblehead or another souvenir? More incentive to come back!
- Stock up on snacks and drinks before the 7th inning stretch. This may seem like common sense, but avoid the heaviest crowds at this time by stocking up on the essentials an inning or two earlier. You’ll be glad you did!
- Grab a late-night treat at Tout Suite, just steps away from the Park. Macarons, cupcakes, and other delicious baked goods await. Plus, they’ll give you that sweet sugar-fuel for your ride home after the game!